Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The first chunk

Day one complete. 1625 words down, 48375 to go.

With work and an accidental nap (the dangers of writing on a bed while my desk is being moved back into my room is real, my friends), just my first day of Camp was a struggle. But I'm breathing, alive and well! I don't know if I can say the same for my main characters, but that's a tale for another day :)

I hit a bit of a block writing directly from the beginning, focusing on the first chapter, so I decided to do what I always do when I struggle with writer's block. Writing to songs.

I brought up iTunes and turned on "Amnesia" by 5 Seconds of Summer, put it on replay, and began writing to the music. It worked like a charm and I was able to bang out around 900 words in under an hour, which gives me a ton of hope for the rest of this month. I was able to write most of one of the more emotional scenes in my novel, which is very exciting as the author.

Word by word, I'm slowly watching these characters come to life. Of course, it's a bit easier for me because some of it is inspired by real events I experienced, but I'm very much a believer that when a book begins and when it ends, the characters continue to live outside the pages. They have dreams, aspirations, and hardships that are very real.

I'm so excited to follow my story on its journey to completion. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment