Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Burning the midnight oils

Goodness gracious, it's been quite a night. I may or may not be posting this at 2:42am, but hey, these are my best working hours, so don't judge me.

I seem to have hit a little bit of a rough patch. Of course, as per usual, my excitement for a project began to lessen as the days went on and the word counts built up. Tomorrow will start Week 2 and as of right now (I stopped writing for the night, can't type when I can't keep my eyes open) I'm about 6 or 7 thousand words behind. I know, I know, bad novelist, bad camper. But hey, I discovered this fun thing we all have to deal with called everyday life, and it sucks for writers. We lose time, lose our muses, but, at least for this month, I'm forcing myself to actually finish a project.

So never fear! My biggest problem (also as per usual) has been distraction and procrastination. But to turn off all my social networks and fun procrastination favorites all day seems completely outrageous. So, I've decided to do it in small increments, like my own little Word Sprints. I just finished one and went for 30 minutes, nonstop, with Self Control functioning on my computer. Of course, without distractions (mainly tumblr), I was able to knock out 800 words with 4 seconds to spare. I'm hoping to use this strategy tomorrow to get the rest of my catchup work done and actually start building up my "word count bank" that Chris Baty talks about in No Plot, No Problem. It'll definitely be helpful when I go back to work and get into tech rehearsals for the show.

That being said, I'm going to update all my word counts (with the one on here, the one on Camp NaNoWriMo, and my personal goal calendar, I've got a few), and head to sleep. I think it's well-deserved tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment